Should You File a Copyright in Nevada?
Don’t let someone else steal your work! Filing a copyright is an effective way to protect your work from being plagiarized, or having your ideas stolen and other people making profit off them. Tony M. May, P.C. provides legal services for individuals seeking to file a copyright in Nevada. We will help you register your work, and handle licensing and assignments of your copyrights.
Common Copyright Law Services
When you want to file a copyright, there are several services we will provide to help you:
- Preparing and filing a copyright application
- Obtain a deposit copy
- Answering questions about the Copyright Office and your rights
- Handling Copyright Office refusals to registration
- Tracking deadlines and filing for extensions if needed
Our Las Vegas law firm will provide you with information about the status of your application, and we keep you informed of any hang-ups that may occur when filing a copyright.
Keeping Your Ideas Safe
With so many small businesses springing up each day, there is a good chance someone else has similar ideas to you. All businesses should aim to have protection for their products and services. No one can be certain that another individual will steal their big idea and will profit from it. There are three main intellectual property types:
- Patents – a patent is used to protect products and services involved with ideas that are already in place.
- Trademark – a trademark will protect a name or symbol that is associated with a product or series. Trademarks are designed to protect consumers from confusion when another business attempts to use a similar product or appearance to build their brand.
- Copyrights – copyrights are used to protect your original work. Writers, musicians, and photographers often use copyrights to protect their work.
The America Invents Act (AIA) provides individuals or businesses that are “first-to-file” or “first-to-invent”. If you end up with a copyright infringement, it pays to have filed the right paperwork find the beginning.
What is a Consistent Use Trademark?
Some businesses will be able to acquire a trademark under common law by consistent use. This is a big risk as people can steal your ideas, and your “consistent use” claim may not be able to hold up in court. Going through the right legal procedures is the best way to protect your ideas, and it will save you from a legal headache in the future.
When you hire the attorneys at Tony M. May, P.C., we will work hard to protect your legal rights and ensure everything is filed properly. We will represent you if you are dealing with a copyright infringement. If you have received a cease and desist letter by another company, call us immediately. We will negotiate with opposing companies and attorneys to focus on resolving the dispute to help you avoid an expensive litigation.
Contact our Las Vegas law firm today to learn more about Nevada copyright law and how to prevent others from stealing your work!